Of Mice and (Wo)Men

A Sugar Ant

I came home from a long weekend away to find my cats waiting for me and looking hungry.  It doesn’t matter what arrangements you have made to feed them, a cat or cats will always stand before you, swaying with weakness, uttering faint cries of distress (as their distended bellies, caused by overly solicitous cat-sitters, sway gently from side to side, rather like those of sugar ants).

At any rate, I returned, counted noses, said hello, made certain they had food put out for them, and did a circuit of the house, checking to see that all was well.  Aside from the cries of the starving hordes, all was well.

I thought.

Dead Mouse.  RIP.  Caption by Frida

Then I found this:

Now, I don’t think animals are stupid, though I suspect the brain power of a lobster isn’t terribly high.  But you might think that a species that is always getting nailed by hawks, owls, weasels and cats might have some way of communicating the notion that a certain place is not necessarily the best one to slip inside and take a snooze.

Hoboes had a sign that indicated that a generous woman lived in a house:

“Kind Lady”

“Stay away from THIS place!!”

You would think that mice or voles or other such would have a similar sign that warns travelers off:

I’m not sure who left the love token, whether Frida (getting old at 9),

Frida, age 9

Orlando (in the Special forces but a bit of a doofus,

or Casey (the Maine Coon, a breed famous for producing mousers).
My money is on Casey.  I think Frida wrote the sign, however…

Myself, I was busy doing battle with some poison ivy that strayed into my yard.  Wonder Woman (yours truly) is fine.

12 comments on “Of Mice and (Wo)Men

1. Great. Thanks to ants and ivy I've got psycosomatic itching!

2. Lara Lacombe says:

My cats are the same way! Not with the dead mouse–I'm more likely to find the remains of a cockroach, strewn in front of the door like some kind of kitty art project. They definitely have the pitiful hungry act down pat, though!

3. Diana Wilder says:

I trust you didn't develop any? The psychosomatic itching is the hardest to eradicate!

4. Diana Wilder says:

Hm. I'd almost prefer the mouse. Almost. They carry fleas. Ewww… A great notion to take with me into the working day! 😉

5. How nice of your kitties to provide a welcome home present for you. See? They missed you!

6. Jill Haugh says:

I vote for Frida. I think she commissioned the doofus to do it.BTW, did you know dabbing your own urine on to poison ivy is the best way to rid yourself of the bothersome, itchy rash? Try it! Thousands of years of Native American wisdom can't be wrong. (It really does work. And you always have some close at hand.)~Just Jill

7. Maine Coons are beautiful cats! My two Ragdolls will verbally chastise me when we arrive home from vacation. 😉

8. Brandy says:

Ah, the wonders of coming home after being away for a few days…I'm leaving my three dogs to go on vacation for two weeks. A friend is going to be staying and taking care of them which will be fine…I hope!

9. Diana Wilder says:

I'm surprised they didn't put it on my pillow, the stinkers! Pets do know how to push buttons!

10. Diana Wilder says:

I'll keep it in mind if I develop a rash. It wouldn't surprise me if it DID work. (though I find myself remembering the Queer Eye For the Straight Guy episode where they were helping two yo-hos get some class. One of them, too lazy to hie himself to the bathroom, used the nearest jar, capped it, and left it in his bedroom. One of the staff – I believe it was the fellow named Carson – nearly ruptured himself in horror.

11. Diana Wilder says:

It is amazing, isn't it, how animals that do not speak Human can convey wrath and disgust with sounds? But Ragdolls are gorgeous! (And charming.)

12. Diana Wilder says:

My dog cleverly hides his bone in the exact spot that my (bare) foot is going to hit the floor at 5:30AM when I get up… Generosity? ('Mom will love chewing this!) or sneaky nastiness? Hm. He's a Lab…